Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chicken Noodle Soup

From the Great American Brand Name Recipes Cookbook Copyright 1989 Page 53
1 (46-fluid ounce) can College Inn Chicken Broth (I use Swanson or an organic version or my own if I have it, but I'm copying the recipe from the book exactly, so you can use the exact recipe if you want)
1/2 pound boneless chicken, cut in bite size pieces (I have to be honest and tell you I do not weigh my chicken. I just usually cook a breast and then cut it up and how ever much that is - then that's what's in the soup)
1 1/2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles (we also like the really skinny ones)
1 cup sliced carrots (John isn't a big cooked carrot fan, so I usually put my chopped carrots in the food processor to make them smaller so he will eat them)
1/2 cup chopped onion (most of the time I chop an onion, but sometimes I use the frozen bagged ones)
1/3 cup sliced celery (You can also buy the frozen bag o' veggies - I've seen them in the store - there is one that has the onions, carrots and celery all chopped and in one bag. Just use your best judgment on how much to put in your soup)
1 teaspoon dried dill weed (Don't Forget This!!)
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (add salt to taste, but only once it's finished cooking)
In large pot over medium-high heat, heat chicken broth, chicken, noodles, carrots, onion, celery, dill and pepper to a boil. (Now why couldn't they just have said Put all ingredients in a large pot over med-high heat and bring to a boil?) Anyway..... Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken and noodles are cooked. That's it!!
However....... This is the way I do it, because you know, we all have our versions. I add about 24oz of water to a pot, bring it to a boil with some salt, pepper and red pepper. Don't know how much of each - just throw some in. I trim any fat off my boneless, skinless chicken breast and throw it in the boiling water until it's done. (If you use more then one chicken breast you may need more water) (While the chicken is boiling I usually am cutting my veggies) I take it out, let it cool a bit then cut it up. I strain my broth (sometimes) then add enough broth to make around 46 ounces. Sometimes I add more, 'cause we like it that way! I bring that back to a boil and add in my carrots, onion and celery until they are almost done. (veggie done-ness depends on you - depends whether you like them nice and soggy or a little crunchy - you decide) I add in the dill, some more pepper and add my chicken back in along with the noodles and then just cook until noodles are done.

No comments:

Post a Comment