Friday, March 19, 2010

My version of French Toast

I made homemade bread the other day, for the first time. Since it's fresh, and I'm still learning, I don't really know how long it's good for, it will just be a trial and error thing for me. If I open the bag one day and it's moldy, then I will know next time that I can't keep it that long!
So anyway, this morning I decided that I was going to try french toast with my homemade bread. I have a good recipe that I use all the time and thought I would share.
I adapted this from a one I tried once from a cook book I love. It was for oven baked french toast. I mean, come on, who has time to 'bake' toast? But, I will post both recipes, just in case you want to bake your toast.

My version:
4-5 slices of bread (I have used regular bread and thick sliced bread - its just what ever you prefer)
2 eggs juice of 1 orange (pulp is A-Ok in this recipe, but I don't like a lot, just what ever falls in when I'm juicing it)
couple dashes of vanilla (probably about 1/8tsp)
couple dashes of cinnamon (again, all about preference, sometimes I add more)
Beat the eggs, juice, vanilla and cinnamon. Preheat your skillet to medium or so, but not too high or it will just burn on the outside and be soggy inside. Add a little butter to the skillet (to prevent sticking) Dip your bread in the egg mixture (both sides of bread) and place in skillet. Cook on each side until a nice light golden brown.
I love syrup. You can buy the stuff off the shelf if you want, hey, it's your body. I like the 100% pure maple if I am buying syrup, but I have recently been turned on to honey granules. Today I used 1/2c honey granules to 1/4c water. In a pot over med-high heat, heat until boiling, stirring constantly. Keep stirring and let boil for only about a minute. Turn the heat off and Viola! you have syrup. If you like alot of syrup, like I do, you may want to double this recipe. I ran out of syrup this morning!

OK here is the baked french toast. It is from a book I received as a gift at a wedding shower in 1993. I love the book and use a lot of the recipes in it. The book is called Come On In! It is a recipe book from the Junior League of Jackson, Mississippi, copyright 1991. This recipe is called Oven French Toast and is on page 168.
This is a side note in the book: Thick slices of stale French bread can substitute for the white bread in this recipe, but let the French bread soak in the orange zest/egg mixture overnight.
Serves 4
1/4c unsalted butter
1/3c sugar
1/4tsp cinnamon
1tsp orange zest
2/3c orange juice
4 large eggs, well beaten
8 slices white bread
---powdered sugar for garnish
Preheat oven to 325 (degrees). Melt butter in rectangular baking pan. Combine sugar, cinnamon and orange zest and sprinkle evenly over butter. Stir together orange juice and eggs. Dip bread slices in orange zest/egg mixture and arrange in a single layer in baking pan. Bake until browned, 25 minutes, and garnish with powdered sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment